Don't worry, there won't be flannel, or rather, there won't be much flannel.

Monday, June 6, 2011

Vintage...or just old?

Royal Oak, MI, yes, not in the U.P. but a city with a hipster downtown that includes several shops for vintage clothing. That is where my foray into vintage began. Next were the online stores, ebay, in particular. The fun thing about vintage is seeing where the current fashions came from, how they first looked. Then I look at the price. The clothes are just old, used, why the giant price tag? There are several reasons for that tag, the sellers need to make a living, it probably is hard to find vintage clothing in a condition well enough for someone else to even want and the main reason: slapping the title vintage on it. Switch out the word vintage for old and would people spend the money on it? Not as many would. I think the only way to really cheaply build a vintage wardrobe is to hunt through those second hand shops, St. Vinnie's, Goodwill, Salvation Army, flea markets and your mother's and grandmother's closets (that is my next stop when I go home). Once I find something that I like and is in my price range I will let you know how that goes on the streets of the U.P.

Is vintage a viable option for us in the U.P? I want to find out. I just need to find a vintage outfit. Maybe I should hit up my Aunt's closets. The key to dressing vintage and not totally looking like a hippie from the seventies or a shoulder-padded power house from the eighties is to add keys pieces that are modern. Add a skinny belt, carry a cute clutch, dispose of the shoulder pads!

If you are ever in Royal Oak, here are a couple places to visit: Paris, and Lost and Found
Never go downstate, hit up someplace closer: your computer. Here are a couple online sources for vintage: Mama Stone Vintage and Bleubird Vintage. Then there is your local St. Vinnie's, Goodwill, and Salvation Army. Happy discoveries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated!