Don't worry, there won't be flannel, or rather, there won't be much flannel.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Shopping Techniques

I have a secret: I am not currently living in the U.P. But soon I will be moving back, in literally a few weeks. Right now I am living in the land of shopping where anything I want is at my fingertips. A fruit from the deepest part of South America, I can find. If I want all natural oreo cookies I can get them (If you are ever near a Whole Foods check them out, so good).
And clothes. Pretty much anything I want. I can shop Macy's, Anthropologie, American Apparel, Victoria's Secret, Urban Outfitters, vintage stores, boutiques.
But I am moving soon, to the land of trees and deer. Which I am happy about, don't get me wrong, but I am wondering how I will do without all this shopping at my fingertips. Probably save money.


There will certainly be periodic trips to the nearest shopping mall: Appleton.


Since Appleton isn't in our backyard, it needs some planning. You want to go there and get everything you need and not realize afterwards that you didn't get what you really needed. Growing up whenever we went to places like this, it was just for school shopping. There was always an idea of what was needed, jeans, shirts, sweaters, etc.
With me leaving, I am planning, it's like getting ready for a new school year. There are certain clothing articles I need/want: a good pair of jean shorts, a few more tank tops, an outfit for the rehearsal dinner I have to attend later this summer, a possible interview outfit, a long chiffon skirt, a decent watch.


Having a list, or atleast an idea of what you need, I think helps so much with shopping. Less distractions,  less spending money on things you don't need or won't end up wearing.


Research a little. Maybe I am the only one who does this, but I read many fashion magazines. When I see something I like in the pages and usually those clothes are designer pieces that I would never be able to afford, I look for a similar cheaper version. Right now I am looking  for a long beautiful chiffon skirt that is actually being a little difficult to find. For my interview outfit I am looking for a black pencil skirt and a white button up. Go online, most places have online shopping now. If you are familiar with what stores usually carry, then you should be able to find what you are looking for. I finally found that chiffon skirt at www.urbanoutfiffers.com, and I am going to make a trip to the mall soon to try it on (fingers crossed that it looks good),


Take a friend who is good to shop with. I took a friend with me a couple weeks ago and told her what I was looking for. She kept a good eye out for me and kept popping up with exactly what I wanted.


Plan the time of year to go. As summer settles in, people are out traveling, I often find more sales. Right now winter gear is on sale or on clearance. I know, who wants to shop for stuff like that in the heat of summer. But stock up on those cardigans, I always need one in the air conditioning stores blast. Stock up on the basics, too. Forever 21 is a great place to get cheap tank tops and t-shirts. For someone like me who loves to layer, they are a staple. I am never not wearing a tank.


So those are a few of my tips on shopping at a distance.  Hope they help in your journey to the mall. By the way, Victoria's secret semi-annual sale is going on right now. Hit that ridiculousness up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated!