Don't worry, there won't be flannel, or rather, there won't be much flannel.

Sunday, March 4, 2012

And winter finally arrived.

I was out walking along the bike path, in the semi darkness, the lights of a nearby parking lot, the only light, reflected back a yellowish-orange color by the mounds and heaps of snow we have now. Snow is still falling, softly now, no angry wind behind it, and the world has gone quiet and it is delightful. 


So here are some pictures taken on the bike path earlier today, the trees still laden with snow, yet the path surprisingly clear. 



Yes, I would prefer this look with heels or flats, but this is Michigan and I had not been expecting the bike path to be plowed already. 





Dress: Vintage
Belt: Forever 21
Cardigan: American Eagle
Boots: Born
Necklace: Vintage Avon

Have I ever mentioned how I take care of my vintage? Or how to look for good vintage? 

Always look for tears, stains, how delicate the fabric is, anything that would make it unwearable. I found this awesome, beautiful forest green dress at Curious Cargo over on Third St in Marquette and right in the middle of the chest area, a stain. Excitement deflated. If it's a stain that looks like it can come out, like some smudged dirt, don't worry about it. If the stain is in a place that is coverable, like near the hem, then still easily fixable. But right in the middle of the chest? If the seller is willing to make a deal, sure go for it, but if not, sniff, sniff, and move on to something else. 

Loose seams are also something that crops up frequently, but again easily fixable. The clothes have been around for a while, so loose seams are understandable, and a little needle and thread even in inexperienced hands like my own can go a long way.

Lastly, smell. Ugh. It's so hard to get that old musty smell out of clothes. Soak, soak, soak. I hand wash all my vintage clothes. I tried throwing a shirt in the washer and just ended up having to repair it afterwards. Finally, just washing it doesn't always get that smell out, especially if it's polyester. Febreeze helps with that. A lot. 

One last note before I scuttle off to bed. Ever heard of a BB cream? It's a "beauty balm" that's exploded out of Asia. I've seen it mentioned over and over in magazines. It's a multitasking product that moisturizes, protects, perfects, and treats skin. Supposedly all in one. A miracle cream. Garnier just came out with a BB cream that isn't ridiculously expensive like the others I've seen and so I am trying it out. That's why there's a close up of my face. I'm going to try it out in lieu of my usual lotion and foundation. After a couple days I will try and provide a product review of it, I guess. On camera it looks pretty good except that I should probably put some on my poor white neck.

Good night, all.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated!