Don't worry, there won't be flannel, or rather, there won't be much flannel.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Magazines

I adore fashion magazines. I read quite a few and the below outfit was influenced by a magazine. When I hit a wall in grad school I turned to fashion magazines and read them obsessively, seeking a break from literature into something just as beautiful and what seemed to me, easier. I explored many of them, finding some I like and some I didn't. So I thought I would give a quick review of some of my favorites, especially since its sit by a pool season. Scroll down below for that.



Bare foot. If I could, I would spend my entire summer barefoot. 











Dress: from my sister
Shirt: Thrifted
Belt: Forever 21
Necklace: gift from a friend


Vogue: Absolutely beautiful magazine. It's my cultural escape. Something so other than normal life. Very runway. Always good for an anti-aging article but redeemed by its slices of life and memoirs. Filled with beautiful photos that seem limited only to models Karlie Kloss and Joan Smalls.

Harper's Bazaar: Just as beautiful as Vogue and just as full, if not more, of fashion. If you have a subscription the covers are so gorgeous not covered in all that writing. Perfect for your coffee table. Perfect for framing if you want to go that far. Now has a feature from the point of view of a designer and how their days go and reveals just how weird most of them are. Beyond the content, the bigger size of the magazine itself I like. Like its working outside of the box.

Marie Claire: A good mix of news, fashion, beauty. A little bit more down to earth than Harper's Bazaar and Vogue. Full of ideas pulled from the runway then presented in more real world outfit ideas.

Glamour: Not as focused on fashion, adds a bit of sex/relationship stuff which is always nice. Usually has some horrifying article about something bad that has happened to a girl and how she over came it. But Glamour is great at empowering. We all remember that photo of "real-looking" women, right? 

Lucky: I love Lucky. It's all about clothes and shopping. This has the most relatable fashion. I feel I can always find an idea that I could easily re-create. This is where I got the idea for this outfit. If you don't like so much reading like Vogue or Harper's Bazaar or don't like the news, relationship stuff of Glamour and Marie Claire, Lucky is great because usually the only article is the interview with the cover girl. 

Nylon: I haven't read this in awhile as I have to limit the magazines somewhere. But a really neat mix of fashion and music.

Seventeen: I had to add this magazine because this was my first magazine and I read it into college until I started not recognizing the starlets featured in it. However, they just promised to represent more realistic women and models and how awesome is that?

Find your favorite magazine and hit the beach! Seriously, it's heaven. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated!