Don't worry, there won't be flannel, or rather, there won't be much flannel.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Trenary Outhouse Races

You say whaaaa? Yes, outhouse races. The rules are to have a structure with a toilet lid, toilet paper, and skis. And I don't think much else. This outhouse is then pushed as fast as possible down a snow laden trail. I do not know how this started, if people just got drunk and tried to push an outhouse...I don't know, but it is hilarious to watch.  
Trenary is a little town halfway between Marquette and Escanaba. It's a town that has a lot of character and I loved it. Downtown was closed down for this and it was just a big party that can only be described as a little mix of Mardi Gras (there were beads and weird outfits and alot of alcohol), rednecks (lots of flannel and snowmobile jackets, and I don't mean that in a bad way, I own a snowmobile jacket) and fur, lot and lots of fur. Beaver, skunk, you name it and people were wearing it, mostly on their heads and my husband kept asking if they killed an ewok (Star Wars reference is case you didn't know) because some of the hats actually had ears on them.


I took pictures of the most interesting "outhouses" and some of downtown and will also provide a little info on dressing for being out in the cold for a long time.



I thought this was a classic Yooper outhouse, with a bucket for the toilet. Perfect.



Wilma and Betty!











This was the nicest outhouse I have ever seen. Seriously. There was a stereo inside.



I tried on some beaver gloves. They were warm, and very cozy.



Hats that everyone was wearing. See the ears on the hat to the left?



Some artwork on a building and my husband's head.



When you enter Trenary, there is just this burnt out shell of a building that you see. And yet it's painted and proudly displays the name of the town. 





I wanted to try and get a more close up of what I was wearing but another group was waiting to get pictures by the building and I didn't want to hog it.

So...hanging out in the cold for a while, it's always best to layer! Layer, layer, layer. If you are like me and get cold easily pile on more than you think you need. Under Armor under jeans or just plain long johns are a must. I had a turtleneck and a sweater over that and I should have added a long sleeve shirt as well. Then I added a scarf and beads were steadily added through out the day, too, you know, as accessories. Tuck jeans into boots. Seriously, you do not want the edges of your jeans trailing in the puddles and the snow because then you are just freezing. Last but not least, add a hat, in my case, a little fluorescent orange to...blend in or stick out, however you want to look at it. 

Alot to read in this post, I know. But hopefully it was entertaining, especially since it's been two weeks since I last did a post. I had a slew of tests right in a row so everything else just dropped off for a bit. Next week is spring break, though! So excited for a little break from school. It's so exhausting after awhile, I would love to just hang out and not worry about homework. Even now, it's niggling at the back of my mind, get this done...but really I want to just chill and watch the Oscars and judge the women's dresses or maybe just drool over them.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated!