Don't worry, there won't be flannel, or rather, there won't be much flannel.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Thrifting...or is it going green?




Today was my first attempt at thrifting. I am trying all kinds of new things these days. I always used to scorn Goodwill, Salvation Army, and St. Vincent's. Why? Who knows, a girl who wanted all the new stuff, has slowly come to realize that old stuff is cool too, as long as it is in good condition.

Well, today I hit the above mentioned stores and it was kinda fun. You really have to be in the mood for digging through stacks of clothing to do this. Some stores are arranged a bit better than others as well. I found several interesting pieces, but only went away with a blue and white striped cardigan (I have to remove the shoulder pads) and a chiffon-like, white floaty top to tuck into my pencil skirts (yay!!!). The cardigan is straight 80's and I'm not sure about the white top, but it's older, maybe (dare I call it?) vintage if the appearance of the tag is any indicator (tags are all sewn and not printed). 

I came across a few other items that would need a little bit of modernizing, but unfortunately I fell to the debilitating weakness of worrying about what other people think, so I didn't get the cool looking '90's button down dress or a dress that I think my great-grandma would have worn, though the pattern was pretty awesome. If I would have gotten them I would have shortened the long skirt or layered to make the clothes look more modern. I will just have to man up and go back. They were so cool, too. And cheap.

The last place that I checked out today: my mother-in-law's closet. I found a wonderful, vintage plaid skirt that just needs to be dry-cleaned.

Once I work these pieces into my wardrobe I will try and post pictures and I would love to see your comments on my thrifting abilities. 

Anyway, check these places out. You can even put a recycle spin on it. You are going green!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated!