Don't worry, there won't be flannel, or rather, there won't be much flannel.

Monday, June 13, 2011

The lifelong search for that glorious pair of jeans

Good fitting jeans for me are hard to find. Over the past five years I have probably only had two or three jeans that fit me amazingly. And yes, I wore them out until there was nothing left. In fact, I still have one pair because I can't bring myself to throw it out. Yet they are so full of holes I can't wear them.


Right now I have a pile of jeans that some aspect of them just don't fit that well. Too loose in the butt, mostly they don't fit me in the waist. There is a gap in the back, or when I bend over my ass hangs out. Jeans should be comfortable. Jeans should fit well. It's unfortunate that this rarely happens. So here is my little guide to helping you make the mistake that I so often do...


I have begun my search for those jeans that are perfect. I have done the rounds of the places that I once got perfect/cheap jeans from. Target, Old Navy (they never actually fit that well, except their trouser pants. Love their trouser pants), Charlotte Russe, Silver Jeans, even Aeropostale. I have since moved on to Gap, American Eagle, Urban Outfitters, and Levi's.
So far all have failed except American Eagle and Urban Outfitters. I just recently bought a pair of jeans from American Eagle and have not had a chance to wear them out and about yet. Urban Outfitters I have heard a lot of good things about but have not yet hit up their store.


Now, to begin your search for that pair of jeans that completes you, do not be faint of heart. It may take a long time. When trying on jeans grab a handful of them, different sizes, different fits. The jeans I got from American Eagle are a size 2, boyfriend fit. Never would I have thought I could fit into a size 2 or even like that usually looser boyfriend fit. 
Ask the salespeople too. Usually if they work there, they buy from there (or at least I would if I worked in a clothing store). They, if they are knowledgeable, know if their sizes run small or large. So don't beat yourself up about whatever size you end up fitting in. In the next store instead of a size 2 I may be grabbing a size 6.
Jeans nowadays usually have a little stretch to them, like 1-5% spandex. When trying on jeans get them tight. You know, not tight to the point of losing breath, but that you can still easily zip them up and nothing is spilling out anywhere. Once wearing them they will stretch out, so don't except them to stay how they are in the fitting room. So for jeans to be a little too tight is good, because they will stretch out. While still in the fitting room, dance around a little, do a couple stretches. Do the jeans say in place? Do they slid off your ass? Do they hitch above your ankle if you sit down? Does the waist gap hugely in the back?
If you have any of these problems move on to the next pair unless you want to be uncomfortable in your jeans or have to have a belt to keep them up. 


Looking for a specific style of jeans? It's nice that there are so many different styles of jeans. There is the skinny cut, boot cut, flares, boyfriend, the jegging...am I missing any? Probably. 
Anyway, Skinny jeans, I think, does take some confidence to pull off, at first. I was nervous for my first pair, especially after a life time of wear straight leg or boot cut. I have quite a few pairs now, mostly due to my love of boots. These jeans have to be the right length. Too long and they bunch at the ankle and it usually looks chunky and terrible. You could roll them, which is fine, or you could move on to try another pair, or find a tailor, like my grandma. Grandma's are usually free, tailors I imagine are not, as I have never gone. But if the pair fits perfectly every other way, and you want to invest in the jeans, then find a tailor. Or try and do it yourself. We've all had a home ec class at one time right?


Boot cut jeans are universally appealing as they aren't tight against the calf and balance out an ass or hips.


Flares make me laugh and I don't have much else to say about those. I never was one much for the sixties looks. But if that's what you like, go for it.


Boyfriend jeans are usually a nice, loose fit. To balance out this comfy cut wear something more fitted up top, even if it is just a t-shirt. Don't make it one complete boyfriend look by borrowing your boyfriend's white t-shirt. Get your own nicely fitted T with these jeans.


The jegging. Do they even fit into this category of jeans? I don't know. I have tried a couple on in the past, but if you are like me and have a wider hip/ass/thigh thing going on be careful with these. Find ones that have a thicker fabric, that skim over curves rather than clinging uncomfortably. My sister found a great pair at the Levi store, probably because those jeggings are more jean than spandex, rather than the other way around.


Now you may have noticed that many of the stores that I have mentioned aren't actually in the U.P. but the jean search can take you far and wide. Appleton isn't that far away. Go to stores you normally wouldn't go to and try on the jeans there. But try them on! Unless you know very well how a certain jean brand fits avoid the internet unless they have a good return policy.


What to do once you found that perfect pair? Stock up. Invest in them and buy two or three pairs. Jeans never go out of style. And who cares about style, if they fit you great, they will be a staple in your wardrobe at any time of the year. Often times stores change their jean selection frequently and that pair you found a year ago may very well be gone. Yes, I am talking to you Silver jeans. Sigh...How I miss that pair of jeans.


I hope this was helpful when shopping for that elusive pair of awesome fitting jeans. I will keep you updated on my jean search. And tell me about yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated!